Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches St Donato’s Church
Document Actions

St Donato’s Church

Return to events list
Click photo
to view images (1)
Il soffitto maiolicato
Insert a start address and click to Search button
  

The small rural church of St Donato is one kilometre away from Castelli. It was erected on the spot of an agrestic chapel of the late 15th century. Its fame relies on the beautiful majolica tiled ceiling, which Carlo Levi called the ‘Sistine Chapel of the Majolica art’ after he saw it.

The ceiling was realized between 1615 and 1617 using 780 votive tiles from Castelli School. The tiles illustrate sketches, family crests, animals, planetary symbols and flower motives painted in bight colours.

The bricks that today one can see in the small rural church are a replica either of the lost original ones, or of those on display at the Museum of Ceramics in Castelli.

Teramo Turismo
Navigation
 

This site conforms to the following standards: