Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches
Document Actions

Churches by period

Return to the churches' home page

Click on an item to view/hide elements from this category

other (3)

La vecchia Basilica

Shrine of Saint Gabriele dell’Addolorata – Isola del Gran Sasso

Isola del Gran Sasso - 64045

The Shrine of San Gabriele is a place of popular worship, one of the top 15 shrines most visited in the world. This is thanks to the two million pilgrims who ...

Read More…

St Joseph’s Church – Teramo

Teramo - 64100

The façade of Saint Joseph’s Church was entirely compromised over the years. Although today it is closed to the public and available only for special catholic ...

Read More…

S. Maria di Propezzano

Abbey of Saint Mary of Propezzano

Morro d'Oro - 64020

The building compound of Saint Mary of Propezzano was erected on the very spot where, according to the tradition, the Madonna appeared in 715. Since then and ...

Read More…

X cent (1)

La Chiesa di Santa Maria a Vico

Church of St Mary a Vico

Sant'Omero - 64024

The Church of St Mary a Vico near Sant’Omero was built on the remains of a pagan temple dedicated to Hercules. It is thought to be the only Abruzzo’s monument ...

Read More…

XI cent (2)

Abbazia di Montesanto

Abbey of St Mary in Montesanto

Civitella del Tronto - 64010

St Mary’s Abbey is on the quiet hill of Montesanto, in the deep tranquil atmosphere set by the vicinity of the hills of Teramo. It is among the most suggestive ...

Read More…

St Nicola’s Church

Atri - 64032

First founded in the 11 th century and rebuilt in 1256, St Nicola’s Church was converted several times over the centuries. The portal stands out from the ...

Read More…

XII cent (7)

Santa Maria di Ronzano

Church of St Mary di Ronzano

Castel Castagna - 64030

This isolated church in the Valley of the Mavone River is one of most characteristic monuments of the Middle Ages in Abruzzo. Almost certainly, it was built in ...

Read More…

San Giovanni ad Insulam

Abbey of St John ad Insulam

Isola del Gran Sasso - 64045

The Abbey of St John ad Insulam is located in the deep countryside of the Sicilian Valley, at the foot of the Gran Sasso peaks. Its edifice is considered one ...

Read More…

La Chiesa di San Martino

St Martin’s Church

Nereto - 64015

In 1188 The Papal bull of Clement III referred to St Martin’s Church as ‘ad Gaglianum’. Although the building underwent drastic renovation works over the 19 th ...

Read More…

San Clemente

Abbey of St Clement al Vomano

Notaresco - 64024

After a long period of restoration works, the abbey reopened to the public in 2008. According to many, there is a relation between the Abbey of St Clement al ...

Read More…

La facciata di Piazza Martiri

St Berard’s Church

Teramo - 64100

The  Cathedral of Teramo (dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary) – also known as the ‘Duomo’ – begun in 1158 with Bishop Guido ...

Read More…

Chiesa di San Vito

St Vito’s Church

Valle Castellana - 64010

St Vito’s Church, historically dependent upon the Abbey of Farfa, was built by the Benedictines in the 12 th century. It presents the typical ground plan – i.e. ...

Read More…

Church of Madonna of Mercy

Teramo - 64100

The church already existing in 1153 used to be a monastery of Benedictine Sisters known as Church of St Angelo of the Women. In 1448, Pope Eugenio IV gave ...

Read More…

XIII cent (5)

Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption – Atri

-

  The cathedral of Atri is one of the most important examples of Romanesque style in Abruzzo. Consecrated in 1223 it was rebuilt between the 13 th and ...

Read More…

Chiesa di San Francesco - Particolare

St Francis’ Church

Atri - 64032

This church along Corso Adriano (high street) was built around 1230 perhaps thanks to Saint Friar Filippo Longo of Atri. He was Saint Francis’ seventh friar brother. ...

Read More…

St Peter’s Church

Campli - 64012

The small country church is to be found around Campovalano’s plain, nearby the ruins of a Benedictine convent. Founded in the 8 th century it was rebuilt ...

Read More…

St Clare’s Church

Atri - 64032

The church erected in the 13 th century and refurbished in the 16 th century was realized thanks to its benefactor Giosua I of Acquaviva. A classic fifteenth-century ...

Read More…

St Anthony’s Church – Teramo

-

  St Anthony’s Church, previously of Saint Francis, was built in 1227. A hundred years later it was largely developed and restored. Initially there was ...

Read More…

XIV cent (8)

Shrine of Madonna of Holy Saturday (part of Saint Agnes’ Church)

Corropoli - 64013

St Agnes’ Parish was once of modest dimensions; it was built on top of Roman ancient building vestiges, although documents date it back to 1227. Its present ...

Read More…

Chiesa di San Giovanni

Church of Saint John the Baptist – Atri

Atri - 64032

This church also known as St Domenico’s Church was built in 1322 and then largely changed during the 16 th and the 18 th century. The lower part of its façade ...

Read More…

St Francis Church

Campli - 64012

St Francis Church is the oldest religious building in Campli, built in the 14 th century right in the historic centre of the town. It presents the unmistakable ...

Read More…

Chiesa di San Francesco

St Francis’ Church

Civitella del Tronto - 64010

The church was founded first in the 14 th century when Roberto d’Angió was reining. It still presents part of the ancient wall with its regular recurring motifs ...

Read More…

St Lucas Church – Teramo

Teramo - 64100

The small church, today restored and opened to the public, was first mentioned in 1372 as the house of Roberto di Melatino. Still fixed above the door’s lintel ...

Read More…

St Augustine’s Church

Teramo - 64100

Church and convent of Saint Augustine were built in 1326 on the spot of a previous sacred building dedicated to Saint James. The church had an attached cloister ...

Read More…

Chiesa dei Ss. Pietro e Paolo

Saints Peter and Paul’s Church

Fano Adriano - 64044

The Parish of Fano Adriano was erected in 1355 on the ruins of an ancient Roman temple. It features elegant forms of the sixteenth century. The portal looks impressive ...

Read More…

St Leucio’s Church

Pietracamela - 64047

St Leucio’s Church, the patron of Pietracamela, is at the entrance of the village. Its origin dates back to the Middle Ages. Inside there are Baroque altars, ...

Read More…

XV cent (9)

Church of St John the Baptist

Campli - 64012

This is a well-known Gothic-style church of the 15 th century, erected just outside Campli’s historic centre, close to the fourteenth- century Porta Angioina, ...

Read More…

St Anthony’s Church– Montorio al Vomano

Montorio al Vomano - 64046

Although the church’s groundwork is unknown, it is believed it was built before the Order of Friars Minor (i.e. before ‘500). It was first dedicated to Saint ...

Read More…

Il soffitto maiolicato

St Donato’s Church

Castelli - 64041

The small rural church of St Donato is one kilometre away from Castelli. It was erected on the spot of an agrestic chapel of the late 15 th century. Its fame ...

Read More…

Convent and Shrine of St Mary of Lumi

Civitella del Tronto - 64010

The Convent and Shrine of St Mary of Lumi is at the entrance of Civitella del Tronto. It was first erected in the 16 th century (its foundation attributed to ...

Read More…

Church of St Mary of the Angels

Civitella del Tronto - 64010

The church is better known as ‘Scopa’, a name taken from the broom that the Confraternity of the Angels (or Laudi) used for self-flagellation. The tradition ...

Read More…

Il Santuario della Madonna della Laga

Shrine of Madonna della Laga

Cortino - 64040

The church is at the entrance of the tiny and suggestive mountainous village of Padula, at almost 1,000 meters. It was erected in the 15 th century and restored ...

Read More…

Statua Madonna della Provvicenza

St Sinforosa’s Church

Tossicia - 64049

The Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption - Saint Sinforosa - is a church of the first half of 1400. It has two beautiful small portals by Nicola da Penne (15 ...

Read More…

La Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Abate

Church of St Anthony Abbot

Tossicia - 64049

It is a rural small fifteenth-century church to be found in the upper part of the village. It presents only one nave covered with a wood-trussed roof and no apse. ...

Read More…

La Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli

Church of St Mary of the Angels

Bisenti - 64033

The Parish of St Mary of the Angels is in Vittorio Emanuele Square, right in the historic centre of the village. According to the legend, the church was founded ...

Read More…

XVI cent (8)

La Madonna della Tibia

Church of Madonna della Tibia

Crognaleto - 64013

It is a small church built on a rocky spur with an impressive backdrop. At its interior it presents a gilt, painted wooden altar in Baroque-style of late 17 th ...

Read More…

St Flaviano’s Dome – Giulianova

Giulianova - 64021

The dome rises in the historical centre of Giulianova old town. Its building started the decade between 1472 and 1481, along with those of the most important ...

Read More…

St Rocco’s Church – Montorio al Vomano

-

  St Rocco’s Church is in Piazza Orsini, the main square of Montorio. Its façade is a composition of two distinct elements, which come together lightly ...

Read More…

Chiostro della Chiesa degli Zoccolanti

Church of the ‘Zoccolanti’

Montorio al Vomano - 64046

The inhabitants of Montorio called their church ‘Zoccolanti’ after the noise produced by the Observant Minor Friars who wore wooden clogs during processions. ...

Read More…

Convento dei Cappuccini

Convent of the Capuchin monks – Montorio al Vomano

Montorio al Vomano - 64046

Diomede Carafa, count of Montorio, built the Convent of the Capuchin monks in 1576, however it was consecrated only in 1621 and dedicated to Saint Mary's Health. ...

Read More…

St Lorenzo’s Church

Civitella del Tronto - 64010

The parish dedicated to the patron Saint Lorenzo Martyr was built in a spot known today as Largo Vinciguerra. In 1557 it became a rampart during the attacks of ...

Read More…

Il Santuario della Madonna dello Splendore

Shrine of Madonna of Splendour

-

  The apparition of the Virgin Mary   The legend tells that on the 22 nd of April of 1557 a farmer called Bertolino, saw a dazzling light ...

Read More…

St Domenico’s Church – Teramo

-

    This church is located in the very historic centre of Teramo and many believe it is the most beautiful of the town. It was built around the ...

Read More…

XVII cent (2)

Church and ex Franciscan Convent

Castelli - 64041

Both edifices were built in the 17 th century on the hill overlooking the village. In the past the church and the convent lodged the State Institute of Art ‘F.A. ...

Read More…

Santa Maria in Platea

Church of Saint Mary in Platea

Campli - 64012

The Church of Saint Mary in Platea is in Piazza Farnese, Campli’s main square. It was built in the late 14 th century on the ruins of an older building. Already ...

Read More…

XVIII cent (3)

St Reparata’s Church

Atri - 64032

St Reparata’s Church is a beautiful example of neoclassic-style in architecture. It was dedicated to the patroness saint and attached to the cathedral , on the ...

Read More…

La Scala Santa

Shrine of Holy Stairs – Campli

Campli - 64012

In 1772, Pope Clement XIV acknowledged to the town of Campli the supreme ownership of the Holy Stairs. The Holy Stairs is by St Paul’s Church and made of 28 ...

Read More…

Statua ligena (XIII secolo)

Church of St John the Baptist

Castelli - 64041

The Parish of Saint John the Baptist of the 17 th century is located in the main square of the village. A Renaissance portal stands out from the façade. The ...

Read More…

XX cent (1)

St Liberator’s Church – Atri

Atri - 64032

Around 1935 the church underwent refurbishing works to honour Atri’s fallen soldiers. High up on the stonework façade an inscription says ‘In Deo vivunt pro patria ...

Read More…

Teramo Turismo
Navigation
 

This site conforms to the following standards: