Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches Church of St Anthony Abbot
Document Actions

Church of St Anthony Abbot

Return to events list
Click photo
to view images (1)
La Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Abate
Insert a start address and click to Search button
  

It is a rural small fifteenth-century church to be found in the upper part of the village. It presents only one nave covered with a wood-trussed roof and no apse.

What distinguishes the church is an important and elaborate portal of 1471 by Andrea Lombardo. It was carved out of indigenous stone and presents three concentric round arches, rich of ornaments and sculptures. The most remarkable pieces of sculpture are those by either side of the portal, representing the Virgin and the Archangel Gabriel (as seen at the nearby St Sinforosa). A fifteenth-century wooden Crucifix, perhaps of Spanish origins, is the only remain of all the artworks that once used to furnish the church.

Teramo Turismo
Navigation
 

This site conforms to the following standards: