Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches St Francisí Church
Document Actions

St Francisí Church

Click photo
to view images (1)
Chiesa di San Francesco - Particolare
Insert a start address and click to Search button

This church along Corso Adriano (high street) was built around 1230 perhaps thanks to Saint Friar Filippo Longo of Atri. He was Saint Francisí seventh friar brother. In 1296 the friars extended the church during a competition with the Dominicans who were building theirs. Then it was restored 1716 by Fontana di Penne.

A spectacular two-flight staircase with a stone handrail from Pretoro gives access to the church. It features a trick of curves and broken lines climaxing at the churchís faÁade ascribable to a Baroque tradition for its framework and the classic elegance. The bas-relief (also known as formella) above the portal about Saint Francis Receiving the Stigmata is an example of impressive, three-dimensional composition in stucco. 

The church presents a Latin cross ground plan with eight lateral chapels decorated with eighteenth century works in stucco from the Neapolitan School. Mostly important are those in Baroque style of Saint Francis and Saint Anthony of Padua, for the accuracy of the work and their cheerful ornaments. Just few ruins remain of the convent attached to the church. These are visible along the right side of the building and in the pointed arch on the left.

Teramo Turismo

This site conforms to the following standards: