Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches St Anthony’s Church – Teramo
Document Actions

St Anthony’s Church – Teramo

Return to events list
Insert a start address and click to Search button
  

 

St Anthony’s Church, previously of Saint Francis, was built in 1227. A hundred years later it was largely developed and restored. Initially there was only one nave with big dividing arches to connect either side of the building. Then a small Baroque church was built inside and this spoiled its typical simplicity. On the upper part of the main building, you can see big openings made precisely to bring in the light for the smaller church. For this purpose an imposing ledge adorning the walls was removed and today few remains are still visible by the bell tower.

 

The façade presents a twin portal of Saint Francis’s Church in Campli: well preserved, elegantly adorned in stone with capitals oddly standing out.

Teramo Turismo
Navigation
 

This site conforms to the following standards: