Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Official web site of the Province of Teramo

Teramo Turismo

Home Cultural Heritage Churches Convent and Shrine of St Mary of Lumi
Document Actions

Convent and Shrine of St Mary of Lumi

Insert a start address and click to Search button

The Convent and Shrine of St Mary of Lumi is at the entrance of Civitella del Tronto. It was first erected in the 16th century (its foundation attributed to Giacomo della Marca) however over the centuries it underwent many restoration works that changed its original external aspect.

According to the legend the church was built on the hillside spot where people had witnessed the miraculous apparition of many little flames floodlighting the night.

An arcade with polygonal small columns leads to the main entrance. The attached convent’s cloister visible on the right is undamaged. Here the octagonal pillars in stone with plain capitals and trapezoidal bases support the brick lintels round arches. The church presents a nineteenth-century interior design, modern, with one long nave beside a smaller one.

The polychromatic wooden statue of Madonna with Child is kept above the high altar built in 1922. It is an artwork by Giovanni di Biasuccio of 1489 and known as St Mary of Lumi. There are also two sepulchral monuments on the left-hand side and in the presbytery frescos by Pauri di Grottammare. Other frescos are visible in the dome standing above the altar and in the upper part of the main nave.

Teramo Turismo

This site conforms to the following standards: